Thursday, June 12, 2008

Touch the Sky



Monday night Tammie and I attended Kanye West's Glow in the Dark Tour. The show got started off on the wrong foot, but ended up being an incredible performance. U92 announced that one of the show's trucks broke down so they were delayed in setting up the stage. The concert was suppossed to start at 7:00, but it did not start until 8:30. The show was worth the wait.
I felt like I was in High School again. And let me just say that I haven't seen that much skin since I was at the beach; if you know what I mean! I felt old at the concert and way out of the fashion scene! But we were not the oldest people there by a long shot! There was a family sitting in front of us!~Tams

The show started with Lupe Fiasco. Lupe isn't very well known by name, but most people have likely heard his hit song Superstar.The guy singing the chorus is Matt Santos. Tammie loved his voice. Lupe put on a really good show. I love great rap with melodic choruses.

After Lupe N.E.R.D. took the stage. It was my least favorite performance of the night. The sound quality wasn't all that great. And I am not a big fan of punk rock rap.

Rihanna was next. She only performed for about 30 minutes. She sang most of her hits. She also had some interesting outfits. She was great! I wished she could have performed some more; I felt like she was rushed; seeing it was 10:00pm. Her outfits WERE crazy! She just kept getting skimpier and skimpier by each song; ending in a full leather(spandex) looking pant suit. ~Tams


Finally, Kanye West took the stage.
The stage was set up with a big video screen behind him, a video screen that he stood on, and moon like hills surrounding him. He was the only person on the stage for the whole hour and a half that he performed. Just Kanye and the music.
I think the best way to describe his performance is a mini-rap opera. The whole story thing was weird at first, but by the end was good when he sang "Home Coming!"He tells the story of going off on a spaceship to save the earth and then crash landing. He incorporates his songs through this story. Video effects in the background and underneath him provided awesome visual effects to tell the story. Kanye eventually gets his spaceship fixed and makes it back home.

Kanye ended the show by explaning what many people consider his biggest weakness: his arrogance. Kanye said that he gets a lot of negative press for his high self-esteem, yet people don't get negative press for having low self-esteem. Entertainment is the only business where you can't be better than your forefathers. He explained how absurd it would be to still use the same computers we used in the 1970's but if he says he is going to be better than John Lennon then he is egotistical. Kanye uses his self esteem to power his dreams. For him if he believes he can do something and says that he can do it, then it forces him to try and live up to that. I think that there is a lot of truth to what Mr. West says (though he may take it a bit far). As we left the E-Center they passed out a book to everyone that was written by Kanye. It is entitled "Thank you and you're welcome." It is basically filled with short sayings by Kanye on how he lives his life. My favorite quote: "Believe in your flyness . . . . . . conquer your shyness."

3 comments:

Chris and Tiffiney said...

I may be in Europe right now, but that is one show I would be jealous of and would have loved to see…
-Chris

Toad, Lizard, Squidney & Emmaphant said...

TWO opening acts...WEAK!!! I do have to admit the special effects are a lot better than the boom box he brought out at the U2 concert, He must have learned from U2 how to put on a show... HEE HEE

Justin said...

Mr. West might be cocky, but he's I like his style. And his flyness. Looks like you had a rockin' time.