Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Things he Remembers!

I have decided that every Sunday, I am going to try to blog about something spiritual.
Sorry for those who are not interested, but I need a place for my family to see my spiritual thoughts and feelings.
I just thought I should share a little experience that happened tonight while going about the routine of putting Carter to bed.

(Just a little preface) Last week was our last day teaching the Marriage and Family Relations class. Throughout the months we were teaching, I felt the only reason we were teaching; was to be reminded of the things I need to do for my relationship with Jeff and the responsibility I have as aparent to teach Carter!

So Last week, We decided to do a little better at our responsibilities and teaching Carter about Family Prayer, Family Scripture Study, and Family Home Evening. (The last lesson in the manuel)
My parents gave us the Book of Mormon for Latter-Day Saint Families for Christmas and we had not used it yet. I decided that since Carter loves to read books so much, that he might like to read the Book of Mormon with us.

SIDE NOTE: I have noticed lately a characteristic in me that I don't like. I am not sure what it is. Some may call it Laziness, but whatever it is; I've got it! I know that all the things I should be doing to be a better Mom or Wife, are easy to do, but none the less, I don't do them! I find myself wanting to do better at reading my scriptures, or making dinner, or teaching Carter the gospel. But lately I have noticed, I have been all talk and no Do!
Sorry for the Self Evaluation! It can be so frustrating!

So I am glad that this experience has turned out so well. It gives me Hope for the future!
Night ONE: We read about how Lehi preached to his people to repent.
That night, while Carter was in Bed we had to talk about Lehi and how he told the people to say Sorry.
Night TWO: Carter was excited to see me bring out the book and sat down ready to read.
We again talked about Lehi and Nephi and Saying Sorry.
TONIGHT: Again Carter was excited to see the book. Between drinks of my Fresca he got this really serious face on and said, "Sorry....People....Lehi"
I was totally Shocked! My heart melted on the spot.
So tonight we sat and listened while Jeff read a few verses. After reading a while Carter got off the couch and started playing. At first, I didn't think he was listening, but Jeff was reading 1 Nephi 1:13 where it says, " And he read, saying: Wo, Wo, unto Jerusalem....."
Carter immediately said, "WHOA, WHOA
Jeff continues, " for I have seen thine abominations! Yea, ......
Carter said, "YEAH, YEAH"

Even while playing around, he was still listening.
Although, he does not understand now, Maybe one day he will.
I have already felt the spirit in our home a little bit more and we are just a little bit happier.
I know Carter was a gift from my Heavenly Father, and I want to do all I can to teach him the gospel. To Build in him a good, strong foundation so when temptations come; he will know the right thing to do!
I encourage all who read this to do a little better.
I know I will never be a perfect parent, but I am going to try my hardest!

3 comments:

Annette said...

That was so sweet Tammie! All of are working to be better people. I simply try to not get overwhelmed about EVERYTHING I am not getting done or doing well at and think about one thing I can improve at. And anyone who knows Carter knows that there is an awesome mom taking care of that little boy!

Annette said...

yeah nice typo I know!

Katy said...

So inspiring, Tams! Thank you for that. I will look forward to your weekly Sunday post! That is such a neat thing that he was actually absorbing what was going on. We are going to work on this with Savanna. THanks for your thoughts!