Friday, June 10, 2011

San Fran: Day 4 Trolley Ride, Aquarium by the Bay, and Alcatraz!

Friday:We woke up fairly early and headed back down to Union Square and stood in line for the trolley! Carter and Aubrey just loved the little trolley cars. Aubrey would put her arms up when we went down the hills. It is amazing how these old cars can go up the hills they do.

We rode the tolley all the way up to the Wharf and then we walked over to the Aquarium by the Bay near Peir 39!

They kids loved the Aquarium and seeing all of the jelly fish, sharks, and walking through the domed tunnels. The toads were my favorite to see; it looked like a sculpture of frogs that you buy in some decoating store.




            




We were able to see the workers there feed the bat ray fish. It was pretty cool, but Carter wouldn't touch one. My Mom's face was priceless after she touched the bat ray. I wish I would have captured it on camera.




















Carter finally touched a starfish. Partly because he remembers touching them at Sea World two years ago!



Aubrey loved playing in the water and touching everything she could!

After the Aquarium by the Bay we had lunch and headed over to Alcatraz. I knew the kids were going to love the boat ride over there, but didn't know for sure how they would do once on the island and listening to the tour. They were starting to get a little tired and needed a break...
On our way over to Alcatraz, our boat had to speed up because of some Oracle racers practicing on the bay that day. It was really cool to see them pass us and see how fast they can actually go!





We actually did this boat ride on a perfect day. There really wasn't any fog and we could see all across the bay. It was simply beautiful! Alcatraz is amazing too! It was so pretty and well kept. When Jeff and I were here on our honeymoon, the only thing I regret was coming to the island. We did a boat tour and went around the island, but we did not stop on the island. This time, I definitely wanted to take to the tour!


When we finally walked  up the steep roads and got to the prison; Carter and Aubrey were both acting up. Fighting over the stroller, and I had no more patience. Luckily, they started handing out headphones for the audio tour. I knew Aubrey wouldn't last long with listening, but Carter loved the whole thing. He listened intently to the tour. It was really fun to watch him turn his head or tell us where go while listening to the tour guide. When it was all done, we went back through and explained some of the things he didn't understand or that he missed. He was really intrigued with the three inmates that escaped through the holes they made and the fake heads they had put on thier pillows.


This was one of the signs they had in the prison, and I am thinking of putting this saying up in my house somewhere!

No comments: