Friday, November 18, 2011

The Delivery Story: meet Elliot

It's funny how each pregnancy is so different, but shortly after you have to baby, the details become a little hazy. I am writing this almost three months after it happened.

This time around I decided to be induced. I had never had to be induced before, but seeing I was due the day before Thanksgiving..I really didn't want to be in the hospital on Thanksgiving. I was not about to eat a hospital food Thanksgiving. Granted the food at McKay Dee Hospital was pretty good, but they do not have cranberry fluff on the menu!
So I was scheduled to go in on the 18th at 7:00am, but received a call the morning telling me that I was not to come in until I heard from them. We had arranged for Jeff's Mom Susan to be there over night and was supposed to get Carter off to Kindergarten for us. The Hospital was really busy and needed to space for all of the ladies who were actually in labor.
So Jeff was able to take Carter to School (where all the Mom's there were so confused knowing that I was supposed to be there early that morning). We had a relaxing morning and I did not hear form them until about 9:30. They told me to be there at 11:00am.
So we were on our way! It was so weird to be driving to the hospital and not really be in labor. I had been having some contractions but nothing note worthy!
We got all set up in our room and I was actually dilated to a 2. So I was hopeful that this delivery would be an easy and fast one.
They started my drip of petocin around 11:30 and man that was no fun. They had just recently gotten new IV things and the girl didn't know how to use them. Nurses always have  a hard time trying to find a good vein and she tried going on my hand. Well, she blew that vein on her first try. I was grateful she didn't want to try again anywhere else and went and got a different nurse to do it. Thankfully, she new what she was doing and had  had some practice using the new IVs and was successful.
Shortly after this little poking and proding was over.. I decided to get the epidural. I was starting to have some pretty hard contractions, but was still okay. But if you know my story with Carter, I wanted to get it as soon as possible.
As soon as the Epidural was in, my Doctor Julia walked in with her snow boots and sun glasses on her head and broke my water. And really just that quick!  I absolutely love her. She is to the point and will not mess around.

At this point, it was just the waiting game. I think with each kid, you forget the little details. I have totally forgotten most of what happened next! Funny Huh!
What I do remember was that I did start to lose the feeling in my legs, but never all that way. I was still able to move my legs and feel the contractions. I asked my nurse if that was normal (which I should have known that it was not normal, I had done this twice before)? I don't' even remember her answer. I remember her telling me I could push the little button every 5 min, up to a certain about an hour. Which I did and still no difference. Finally around 3:00 I had the anathesiologist come in and give me another dose of the stuff. Still not much of a difference. I could feel the contractions, had to breathe through them and I knew I was getting close.
When I finally progressed to a 10 and was ready to push, I was so ready for him to come out. I remember when I had Carter and Aubrey that I could barely feel when I was having a contraction. But with Elliot, That was different. I knew when they were coming and I felt like they were slightly dulled. Luckily, dulled enough that I couldn't feel down there, but enough that it made it hard to push.

Our nurse put on the pressure when we were getting ready to push and told me that she had a record of getting babies out in three contractions/pushes. I was like, Um....  I will try, but no garuntees!!!
I was kind of annoyed!
In Walked my doctor again with her boots and sunglasses still on her head! NEVER have I seen her without them!!!
She Asked me if i was having a contraction and i was in too much pain to really know what was a contraction or not. It really felt like a really long continuous contraction!

So three contractions but 4 pushes, Elliot entered the world! He would have been out in three pushes like the nurse wanted but his face was facing up. My doctor was unable to turn him because he was already too far down the birth canal! So the last push was a really hard one and a hard one at that, but we did it!
 He was adorable the moment i saw him. My doctor literally took him and plopped him on my belly! I was able to hold him while Jeff cut the umbilical cord!
Elliot James Balls
Born November 18, 2011
at 3:53pm
7lbs. 11oz.
20 in long




First Pictures with Mamma

His First Mohawk!

I distinctly remember having a picture of Carter like this!





Foot Prints!




This is the outfit Carter picked out for Elliot to come home in. It was perfect! He was wearing his sunday Best!!!

1 comment:

Ryan + Angie said...

Nov 18th!!! What a great day to have a baby. That was when I was born and so was Mickey Mouse...just so you know. :)